Friday, June 17, 2011

Third time's a charm???

As I drove around after the latest series of major aftershocks I felt an overwhelming sense of pride in my city.  The roadwork crews were patching up the same roads, again.  Engineers were checking buildings, again.  People were shoveling the liquefaction silt from their properties, again.  
Everyone was just picking themselves back up and getting on with it.
What surprised me most this time was how much easier I found it all.  Instead of feeling desperate to leave the chaos it felt like we could cope, manage with staying.  It felt like an inconvenience rather than a disaster.  
And the thought of another major aftershock doesn't actually terrify me like it used to either.  After my Auntie was killed in a car accident when I was 16 I was terrified of being in a car for awhile, but gradually I had to accept that I would have to go in cars and that car accidents do happen.  I had to adjust to that being a fact of life.  And that's what it's like in Christchurch now, I have accepted that earthquakes will happen and sometimes people will get hurt.  
Lots of people have asked me why we don't leave.  I have certainly thought about it but for now it still seems harder to go than to stay.  We have been spared any major loss through the earthquakes and this is still where our home, work, school, friends, life is.
Don't get me wrong, it's still exhausting and hard.  Especially trying to help the kids cope, I don't think I will ever forget the look of terror on Hamish's face as he tried to run across the lounge and get under the table.  But he will be okay, we all will be okay.

No comments: