Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Swept away on a wave of crazy

I apologise in advance for my second ranty-ish blog in two days.  
But apparently my city will be washed away by a huge tsunami today so I wanted to squeeze one last blog in....
Yes that's right folks someone has 'prophesied' that Christchurch will be hit today by a tsumani big enough to reach Princess Margaret Hospital.  That would have to be as big as the Japan tsunami - which is amazing since we don't actually have a subduction plate setup offshore that would create it.
It doesn't hugely surprise me that someone would come up with a crazy story like that - what does surprise me is that people have listened to it.....and told other people....and so on.
Really everyone just stop it!  The people of Christchurch have had enough of the crazy!  
Because in all honesty no matter how stupid and unrealistic your story is each of us has that little kid inside that freaks out when we hear this stuff.  
We have been through it...more than once...we know what can happen...and we don't want it to happen again.  
Everyday we try and ignore the fact that it can happen again so that we can get on with our lives.  So when we hear something like this it reminds us again - we don't want to be reminded.  It's like finding the sore spot on someone and poking a sharp stick at it - it's just downright mean.
 
And then to have the cheek to say that God told you it would happen and that it is His judgement on the people of Christchurch for still not listening to Him?   
Now you've really made me angry.  
And what amazes me is how people who have a faith in God run for the hills when they hear stuff like this.  Surely those of us with a faith should be the bravest and the strongest in the face of a disaster? 

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment." 
1 John 4:18 

See now look what you've made me do - pull out a Bible verse and everything.

I'm going to have to quote something else now - just so I don't sound like a religious nutter. 
So I'll finish with a line from one of my favourite movies.....

"Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here"
Melvin - 'As good as it gets'

1 comment:

Deb Robertson Writes said...

I totally agree with you. You put it well. I'm tired of this madness in the name of God. What's with that?