Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Make it work....

Today we have been married for 14 years.  And as much as I wish I could take full credit for making it this far I know that, while I have done some things right, there are a whole heap of things that I have done wrong.  We got married when we were 21 - I didn't even really know myself let alone be ready to know another person. 
I have been selfish and thoughtless and lazy and blase too many times to count and so has my husband.  
We have watched other couples break up and divorce and know that 'there but for the grace of God go I'.  I don't know why it has worked apart from that my husband is a very patient man and that we talk and laugh a lot.  
Overall we have a Tim Gunn approach to marriage...
"Carry On" 
and 
"Make it Work"
and it's worked so far but I don't want to take it for granted that it will be enough to keep it working.  
So for the next 14 years I want to try to be more self-less and thoughtful and diligent and enthusiastic about our marriage.

No comments: